User Interface Component Contrast (Minimum)
Discussion of the issue is available in Issue 10. To file comments on this proposal, please raise new issues for each discrete comment in GitHub.
Essential visual identifiers of user interface components have a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1 against the immediate surrounding color(s), except for the following situations:
- A contrast ratio of at least 3:1 is required where the minimum width and height are at least
3 CSS pixels, for the essential visual identifier.
- Disabled or otherwise inactive user interface components
- User agent control
- The color(s) of the user interface component and any adjacent color(s) are determined by the user agent and are not modified by the author.
- Examples of essential visual identifiers of user interface components may include (a border, edge, or icon), current value (such as non-text visual indication of aria-valuenow on a slider) and current state (such as selection indicator, focus indicator) or other essential visual indication (which do not rely on color alone).
- Under consideration: simplify this Success Criterion by setting the minimum color contrast requirement to 3:1 and removing any need for measuring thickness.
- Under consideration: will review to see if it is possible to combine with proposed WCAG 2.1 SC 1.4.11 Graphics Contrast.